Sunday, September 28, 2008

The Art of Communication

How many of us actually like Precious Moments Figurines? Are you drawn to these figurines, which are characterized by the famous teardrop eyes?

As I was reading through 30 Stories in 30 days emails by Precious Moments, I was amazed by how Precious Moments Figurines have brought so much joy and touched the lives of so many people in different countries.
Just these brightly coloured sculptured clay models, coupled with inspirational titles printed at the bottom of them. What struck me most was the sheer ability of these figurines to send out messages of comfort, friendship, kinship, peace, love and hope. Some people use the figurines to mark certain milestones in their lives, and therefore are significant to them. Others collect these figurines because they provide an outlet of expression; when people can’t find the right words to express their feelings and they are able to relate to the inspirational titles on the figurines.
The figurines serve as a non-verbal tool of communication.

Take a look at this: Precious Moments' 30 Stories in 30 Days: Day 12

My mom has been collecting Precious Moments figurines since one of her sisters worked for Enesco in Illinois. When I was much younger, I remember my mom collecting all of the pieces for the nativity scene. As the years went on, my brothers, Brian and Daniel, and I would buy PMs for our mom while she expanded her collection.

I gave my mom the figurine "A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words" because I have always drawn pictures and I am now an art teacher. Brian had a piggy bank full of his savings very similar to the one in the figurine "You Can’t Take It With You." "To My Better Half" reminds my mom of my brother Daniel because when he was little he would twist his Oreo cookies apart. My mom’s favorite, which represents all three of her kids, is "You Have Such A Special Way Of Caring Each And Every Day" because there is a blonde girl, a toddler boy with brown hair, and tiny baby, which perfectly represents our looks and age order. My mom told me the figurine looked like the three of us when we were little and so protective of each other.

One of my mother’s most significant PMs was obtained Mother’s Day 2005. The figurine is called "Lord I’m Coming Home" of a little boy baseball player running with all his might because he had successfully hit a baseball. Brian passed away January 13, 2005 in a tragic accident while moving from Salt Lake City, Utah to Denver, Colorado for graduate school.


Brian was a huge baseball fan and once I saw this figurine, I knew I had to add it to my mom’s collection. I gave my mom "Lord I’m Coming Home" only four months after Brian passed. When she opened the box and saw the figurine and the significance of the saying, I told her, “Brian wanted me to give this to you.” We both cried and when we finally stopped sobbing we felt at peace. My mom and I love how uplifting the figurine appears, as the young baseball player is running as hard as he can to obtain the goal of going on to heaven.

Once I started receiving the PM catalogue, I knew I had one more figurine to get in relation to Brian’s passing. On the one-year anniversary of his death, I gave to my mom "Until We Meet Again," a figurine of a girl and a boy, which we interpret as a mother and son, in sorrow saying goodbye. In between them lies a flat head stone with the word beloved and a cross. It is so hard losing anyone, but for my mom to lose a child has been extremely painful. Precious Moments figurines perfectly represent the real feelings and memories important to my family. Thank you.
by Renee MilneTooele, UT

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes i guess some things are worth a thousand words, & judging from the price of these figurines u can pretty much tell the meaningful messages behind them.hahas.

Uma said...

I know one of my best friends loves to give Precious moments items for my birthday every single year til now. I used to think that decorative items are pointless and everytime my birthday comes around the corner I already know what she got for me.

After I read this post, I went to take a look at those precious moments items she gave me. I realise how much sense and symbolism it does actually make! They are symbolisms of the good times we spend together and what type of a person she thinks of me as. In particular, there is a snow globe she gave me which says 'someone special'. It also has 2 bears in winter clothing hugging each other. This reminds me of the overseas trip we took with a group of friends. Such use of still figurines, the verbal and non-verbal messages that are communicated really do mean a lot.

Maybe this is why this brand of items are called 'Precious Moments'. They truly do help people remember the wonderful, inspiring experiences that take place and the people who come into their lives.

Thanks for enlightening me with this post Trixia! :D

Anonymous said...

Hi Trixia,

I was attracted to this post,mainly because of the baseball figurine.
I've never put much thought into precious moments figurines,maybe because i'm more of a practical person and it's an expensive hobby to be collecting precious moments.thus i could never understand how come such things are so popular!

but after reading you entry,i guess there's much more meaning when i look at another P.M figurine next time. The figurine may be only standing on the cupboard collecting dust,but i guess it brings back fond memories and meaning to the person intended.i guess it's sort of a message carrier,as it carries all your love and thoughts in it and 'sent' it to another person=)

so i'm thinking!i wonder what hidden meaning you have when you gave me my very first P.M figurine on my bday few years back,you probably think i'm as gentle as an angel right?=P

good writing though!

-Hongyu

silent reverie said...

Wow.

I first noticed these Precious Moments figurines when i accompanied a friend to make a purchase... I thought they looked really cute and pretty, but i guess i just never got down to buying it for anyone.

It was a very touching story, and the significance of the PM figurines in the story probably goes beyond what any of may understand.

As a form of non-verbal communication, i would say it has certainly done a good job. The feelings, memories attached to the figurine cannot be underestimated, especially when the person in mind is no longer physically around.